Wow. Yours truly has been nominated for the One Lovely Blog Award by just as lovely MezzoCouture!
I want to thank MezzoCouture for her generous kind words about my blog. And I want to thank you readers too. Yes, you Lurkers as well as you Likers and Commentators.
And one mustn’t forget Pattern Review without which it would have been harder for us to find each other. For it was through Pattern Review that MezzoCouture found me by way of SewStashSew, who had linked to my review of Vogue 1159 Donna Karan dress probably after seeing my shorter review of that pattern on Pattern Review. And it through Pattern Review that I found MezzoCouture via her review of Vogue 1324 blouse and skirt – surprise surprise, another Donna Karan creation. So maybe I should thank Donna Karan too for their collaboration with Vogue Pattern that brought so many of us together!
Anyway, you should check out Mezzo’s version of V1324. I especially liked her blouse, which I think is closer in spirit to the original despite a different fabric choice than what was recommended on the pattern envelope. And I love that the result looks so good on her womanly figure rather than being fit only for
tall stick insects model figures! :-D
Is that a long acceptance speech or what? OK, on to the business.
Being relatively new to the blogsphere, I had to Google this OLB award and find out what is all about. Seems like its origin is vague, but the rules can be easily found via other previous honorees. So here goes…
One Lovely Blog Award Rules
1. Thank the person who nominated you and link back to them in your post.
OK. Done that. Thanks again MezzoCouture!
2. Share seven possibly unknown things about yourself.
But if I tell you I’ll have to … Just kidding.
- Many an obsession of mine started with Japanese Girl’s Manga. But not my sewing nor my humongous fabric stash.
- My English name Pia is lifted from one such Japanese Manga. A mermaid character would you believe it.
- I lost my sweet tooth somewhere along the road. But I can easily polish off a big bag of salty chips (or crisps as they call them here in old Blighty) any day.
- I once wore postcards as brooches. Thank God I lived in NYC at the time. Anywhere else (except in Japan perhaps) and I would probably have been bullied. In NYC, no one bats an eyelid!
- My favorite fashion magazine growing up was a Japanese one named after Olive Oyl from the Popeye cartoon. (Now you can see why I’d even think to wear postcards as brooches. Those crazy Japanese kids! :0)
- No, I’m not Japanese. By descent or otherwise.
- I was Coco Chanel in my previous life. No, really!(OK, you caught me out, I was already born when she passed.)
3. Nominate fifteen or so bloggers you admire.
Oh dear, where do I start? I’m subscribed to over 45 blogs on my Google Reader and discovering new ones regularly. Sadly some of those don’t seem to be updated anymore. Some are so popular judging by the amount of comments they get that maybe they’ve already had the award twice over. And can one nominate the person who nominated you in the first place? (OK, maybe Mezzo has too many link from one post already, and need to share the love around a bit! ;-)
So here are some random picks from the perhaps lesser known gems (judging by relative amount of comments) who deserves wider recognition. Maybe some will accept and pass on the honor to others.
- Bag’n-telle – by bag designer & educator Don Morin. One can never get enough tips from the experts! :-)
- A Little Sewing
- Allison C Sewing Gallery – who inspired me to buy so many patterns that I wouldn’t have otherwise given a second thought to.
- Chanel No. 6
- Did you make that? – OK, Karen gets oodles of comments. But she cracks me up.
- Goodbye Valentino – Brave lady campaigning to live another year without RTW purchases. I was tempted to join in. But I chickened out. I couldn’t do without more fitted cardies after the moths regularly decimate my wardrobe.
- I Can Make That
- Mercury – Handmade Fashion
- Miss P }
- Petit main Sauvage – Into the land of self-drafted patterns!
- Pretty Grievances – Another wisecracker to brighten your day!
- Sew Tawdry
- So Sew Lovely
- Handmade in Style
- last but not least, and this time not a sewing blog…
Growlingbelly – a friend’s mouth-watering food blog
Dec 13 Correction:
The full rules of the game are actually:
1. Thank the person who nominated you
2. Add The One Lovely Blog Award to your post.
3. Share 7 things about yourself.
4. Pass the award on to 10 nominees.
5. Include this set of rules.
6. Inform your nominees by posting a comment on their blogs
Oops. I blame Go0gle for not ranking their results by the clearest instruction criteria when I tried to find out the rules of the award! :-P
Better go tell my nominees now, even though some of them have already been nominated by other bloggers subsequently. See, they must be worth checking out if they’re getting nominated left right and center! :-D